News

OC Transpo trims planned e-bus purchase in response to AG’s advice


The transit agency intends to move ahead with the e-bus procurement in the coming days.

Article content

OC Transpo is reducing the number of e-buses scheduled to be purchased this year in response to advice from the city’s auditor general.

Article content

Renée Amilcar, the agency’s general manager, told the transit commission on Wednesday that OC Transpo wanted to purchase 26 e-buses, rather than the previously planned 74 e-buses.

Earlier this year, city AG Nathalie Gougeon recommended Transpo trim the fleet purchase so staff could monitor the results of the current pilot project with four 40-foot buses.

The city is working with the federal government and the Canada Infrastructure Bank on a $1-billion program to bring battery-electric buses into the OC Transpo fleet.

Amilcar said OC Transpo was waiting for the feds to authorize the funding, but the transit agency intends to move ahead with the e-bus procurement in the coming days.

The medium-term goal is to increase OC Transpo’s e-bus fleet to 239 by 2025.

Amilcar said Transpo was still planning to have up to 450 e-buses by 2027 and to have the fleet fully converted to e-buses by 2036.

jwilling@postmedia.com

twitter.com/JonathanWilling




Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

close