Police said the children were in a vehicle being driven by their father when it drifted into the oncoming lane on Route 309.
A five-year-old boy was killed in a head-on collision on Route 309 near Notre-Dame-de-la-Salette on Tuesday morning.
Three others were also injured, including the boy’s sister, a seven-year-old now being treated for serious injuries at the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, MRC des Collines-de-l’Outaouais police said in a news release.
Police said the children were in a vehicle being driven by their 33-year-old father when it drifted into the oncoming lane while travelling south.
It struck another vehicle driven by a 64-year-old man from Cantley, who was the lone occupant. He was in hospital with injuries described as life-threatening.
The father was also seriously hurt, but was expected to survive.
The boy was rushed to hospital in Buckingham, Que., but did not survive. The crash occurred just before 11:30 a.m. in a rural area about eight kilometres south of the village of Notre-Dame-de-la-Salette, where the family resides.
The village is about 65 kilometres northeast of Ottawa. The incident was still under investigation.
Claude Sarrazin, the general manager of the municipality of Notre-Dame-de-la-Salette, said Tuesday evening he was told the children’s family of four moved to the area earlier this year.
He said he wanted to reach out to see what help the municipality could offer, given the tragic circumstances and the prospect that the father was facing a long recovery.
This section of the 309 has an S-curve and can be a little tricky to negotiate, he added.
“The 309 is dangerous.”
Sarrazin said motorists frequently exceeded the 90 km/h limit and added the municipality had tried, unsuccessfully, to have the speed limit lowered below the current 70 km/h maximum through the village. It was only earlier this week, he said, that he witnessed a near-miss on the 309 due to a motorist making a dangerous passing manoeuvre.